Dozens prepare for Polar Dip at Pleasant Point | News
PLEASANT POINT, Maine (NEWS CENTER) --- Some people will be getting ready to brave cold waters in Washington County this Friday.
Washington County Community College will be hosting the annual Polar Dip. About 150 people are expected to take a cold run into the waters off Pleasant Point. The theme for this year's event is 'Be Brave...Make Waves.' Organizers are asking people taking part to dress up as their favorite super hero or villin.
Each year all money raised from the dip goes to benefit the Ronald MacDonald house in Bangor, which houses families of sick children who are at hospitals in the city.
"The Ronald MacDonald house has always been a huge help to the residents of Washington County...helping families stay here," said Christine Phillips, who is the college's student senate president, "So it's our way to thank them and do something for them for doing so much for our communities in Washington County."
The dip will get started at Pleasant Point at noon on Friday. Last year it raised about $22,000 for the Ronald MacDonald house.
Upcoming Events near Downeast
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Community rallies to rebuild restaurant destroyed by fire
- New details show motive behind fatal shooting in Belfast
- Secret Santa pays off layaway bills for Renys shoppers
- Wreaths Across America begins trek to Arlington National Cemetery
- Wreaths Across America may have fewer wreaths for annual trek to Arlington