State of Maine Championship Snowshoeing Race facing tough conditions | News
EAST ORLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Mother Nature is wreaking havoc on the 2nd annual State of Maine Championship Snowshoeing Race at the Great Pond Mountain Wildlands in East Orland. Race organizer Pete Keeney says he's had to work hard to maintain the 4.9 mile course.
One of the biggest challenges he's facing is the rise in temperatures earlier in the week that caused the snow to melt, and then the drop in temperatures in the past few days that formed hard ice crystals on top of the snow base.
Keeney says he hopes the weather on Saturday will bring a few inches of snow, as fresh powder is ideal for snowshoeing.
The race starts at noon on Saturday, January 20th. You can find more information at http://greatpondtrust.org/partners/state-of-maine-championship-snowshoe-race/
Upcoming Events near Downeast
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Finding the Perfect Tail and Avoiding Shrinkage Helping Lobstermen Through Bawdy Humor
- Former Bar Harbor Police Chief files suit against town
- Danforth couple charged with trafficking meth appear in court
- Court rules on Acadia National Park's concessions contract
- Mt. Desert Island YWCA to Host Support Group for Caregivers