Post offices on Maine islands to be part-time | News
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Members of Maine's congressional delegation say the U.S. Postal Service has agreed to designate seven island post offices as part-time, meaning they'll remain open at least six hours a day.
Democratic Reps. Mike Michaud and Chellie Pingree said Tuesday that the Postal Service is implementing a program to reduce hours at small post offices, and had proposed cutting back hours at island post offices in Maine to as few as two hours a day.
Rural post offices designated part-time are supposed to be at least 25 miles from the nearest post office, but Michaud and Pingree said that 25-mile criteria shouldn't apply to islands that are only accessible by ferry.
The Postal Service agreed and will allow the island post offices to stay open longer.
Upcoming Events near Downeast
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Stonington Galleries and Studios will Hold its last First Friday Open Gallery Night for the Season
- Flash in the Pans and The Ark set to Celebrate
- Traditional Jazz & Vintage Pop: the New Traditional Jazz Band in Concert at the Stonington Opera Hou
- David Mamet's “The Duck Variations” at Stonington Opera House
- NAMI Maine Bringing a Free Training Opportunity to Blue Hill!